It seems that every time you look around, you find more complex solutions to the most simple marketing problems.. reaching your audience, effectively communicating, and helping customers advance their business forward. Let’s see if I can simplify it for you.
From my perspective, the basic principles of “listen to your customer” and “think value” still reign true. Here are some tips for staying on top of your marketing game:
1. Always be reading and seeking knowledge. Whether you’re reading an expert blog post, news, or the latest marketing book to hit the shelves, never assume that you know-it-all.
2. Listen to your customers. The have an uncanny ability to tell you how it is. Are they happy? What do they like about your products, services, communications, etc.? Are they unhappy? Why? What can you do about it.
3. It’s about message points. Are you controlling all of the touch points that communicate something about your brand? When someone calls your office or sees your brochure, are they receiving a consistent user experience that embodies your brand and what you stand for? Think about your key messages and how and where they are communicated.
4. Keep it simple. People do not have more than a couple of minutes to read about your product. Show them how it works, what it does, and how it’s going to make their life easier. Simple.
5. Create a dialog. Whether interacting with your internal marketing team, the salesforce, or your customers, remember that communication is a two-way street!
Give consideration to each of these aspects of marketing. Always be learning, asking yourself questions, and challenging the status quo. Even when things are going great, they can be better!