These days, everyone and their mother has a Facebook page, a Twitter handle and a YouTube channel. But as any creative agency worth its salt knows, that’s just the tip of the social media iceberg.
To avoid sinking your client (not to mention your own business) like The Titanic, you have to deliver more than just views, likes and retweets. Here’s what the social media maestros at Vitamin T agree are five great ways to rock a social media campaign like a hurricane.
- Start with a strategy. Clients may love your help with content, but what they expect (and need) are strategic goals that drive revenues. So start every social media conversation with your clients there, and support your strategy with great delivery.
- Create content that people will actually want to share. It may sound old-fashioned, but content is still king. The better your content, the more people will want to share it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Digg…you get the picture.
- Make sharing easy. Thanks to the one-click functionality of share, like and retweet buttons, sharing content has never been easier. So make sure you have those buttons at the ready so people can spread your gospel with little effort.
- Reward engagement. Engagement can mean a lot of things: comments, discussions, shares, user response videos…the list goes on. Regardless of how you define it, engagement matters – big time. So reward anyone who engages with your content.
- Encourage mashups. No, we’re not talking about mixing Salt-N-Pepa with The Stooges. But the principle is the same. If people want to take something you’ve published online and make it their own, let them. Better yet, encourage them.